Wednesday 6 January 2010

Film progress

Well it has been 4 months now since I left my job to make the Cricket on Everest film. It has been a strange process all told; balancing working all hours on it, with then walking away and doing nothing, but doing nothing so the film can improve! Firstly you need serious motivation to go through 100 hrs of footage, edit, change the edit, decide who to interview, why, then get all that done, then back to the editing, re-editing. But it is when you walk away, leave it alone, not think about it, let it sift around that suddenly you get the 'moment'; 'thats what I need to do', write it down, and hope you get a dozen more moments like that so then you can go back with the instant drive to spend hours at the screen.

The good news is that I have done the rough cut and have been getting some feedback from people who weren't involved in the expedition. The overall response has been very strong which is great, but there are some smaller bits that need tweaking. The current running time is 83 minutes so it is well up to feature length. It was longer but I've cut it down to try and keep the pace high.

I've finally nailed the name; will release that when I get the poster fixed up at sometime in the next few weeks!

I'm justing waiting another couple of days to see if any more feedback trickles in, then making the final cut before it has the sound and colour polished, oh and try and get some animation done, and sort out some music rights!